For a no obligation consultation, please call
t +44 (0) 1282 415753
At Fleet Tech Solutions we take Health & Safety seriously. We do not only feel we have a duty or care to our
employees but also an obligation to our customers to ensure all of our vehicle conversions are of a robust construction,
fit for purpose and safe. We consider the whole vehicle, its application and use.
Below are some points to consider when designing a vehicle conversion specification.
By law, every employer must
- Make sure that work equipment (which includes vehicles) is suitable for its purpose;
- Take account of the working conditions; and
- Assess the risks to the health and safety of using chosen work equipment.
Questions to ask
Your specification for a workplace vehicle should include answers to these questions:
- Does the driver have good all-round visibility?
- What warning systems (such as horns and amber warning lights) are fitted?
- Are the seat belts and restraints safe and comfortable and do they meet the needs of the job?
- What safeguards will prevent people from coming into contact with dangerous parts of the vehicle such as power take-offs, chain drives, exposed hot exhaust pipes?
- Can drivers get in and out of the cab / rear of the vehicle safely and easily?
- What protection is there from bad weather, extremes of temperature, dirt, dust and fumes?
- Has any consideration been given to employee welfare (first aid, toilet, hand wash, sinks etc)?
- Is there a way to prevent injury from tools or equipment coming into contact with the occupants whilst driving?
- Is the vehicle bright enough to be seen (Chapter 8 Livery)?
- Do the vehicle lights provide enough light for the driver to work?
The design of vehicles used on public roads has to meet specific legal standards, set out in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations. The overall standard of vehicles used in workplaces should be at least as good as for public roads.
Together considering the above we will ensure your vehicle conversion is fit for purpose and safe.